India opportunity $400 billion by 2020
- To create an eco-system for a globally competitive ESDM sector in the country to achieve a turnover of about USD 400 Billion by 2020 involving investment of about USD 100 Billion and employment to around 28 Million people at various levels.
- To build on the emerging chip design and embedded software industry to achieve global leadership in VLSI, chip design and other frontier technical areas and to achieve turnover of USD 55 Billion by 2020.
- To increase the export in ESDM sector from USD 5.5 Billion to USD 80 Billion by 2020.
- To significantly enhance availability of skilled manpower in the ESDM sector. Special focus for augmenting post graduate education and to produce about 2500 PhDs annually by 2020.
- To create an institutional mechanism for developing and mandating standards and certification for electronic products and services to strengthen Quality Assessment infrastructure nationwide.
- To develop an appropriate security ecosystem in ESDM for its strategic use.
- To create long-term partnerships between EDSM industry and strategic sectors like Defence, Space, and Atomic Energy etc.
- To become a global leader in creating Intellectual Property (IP) in the ESDM sector by increasing fund flow for R&D, seed capital and venture capital for start-ups in the ESDM and nanoelectronics sectors.
- To develop core competencies in sectors like automotive, avionics, industrial, medical, solar, Information and Broadcasting etc through use of ESDM in these sectors.
- To use technology to develop electronic products catering to domestic needs and conditions at affordable price points.
- To expedite adoption of best practices in e-waste management.
- To create specialized governance structures within Government to cater to specific needs of the ESDM sector including high velocity of technological and business model changes.
- To facilitate loans for setting up ESDM units in identified areas